8.02.2019 / visitraseborg

Helene Schjerfbeck was very fond of the sea, walks in the Old Town and excursions to the Ramsholmen forest park area. She spent much of her time in Skepparträdgården park painting and watching people. Helene did, in fact, paint a lot of portraits of ordinary people with interesting facial features in Ekenäs. Nowadays the memorial The Finnish Untuned Bell, which children like to ring, is set into the park. It was created as a permanent monument to celebrate the artist’s life’s work.

Ekenäs, the hometown

Helene Schjerfbeck lived in several locations in Finland and abroad. The artist spent the summers 1918-1920 in Ekenäs, and lived permanently in the town during years 1925-1941. She chose to live in Ekenäs because she wanted to live close to the sea. Her first apartment was in the old Juslin house on Långgatan (Raseborgsvägen 2). The house was demolished a long time ago, but there is now a memorial and Helene Schjerfbeck Square. For some time Helene also lived in the yellow house next to the Fish Market in the Ekenäs Old Town as the tenant of Sigfrid Nyberg. This house still stands.

Dramatized walks with Helene Schjerfbeck 

Dramatized walks are held in Ekenäs where Helene herself will guide you through the interesting phases of her own life and the history of Ekenäs. She will show you the parks and buildings that she was inspired by and tells about her friends that modelled in her portraits. For bookings, please contact cafeschjerfbeck@gmail.com.

In addition to the dramatized walk, groups can book a guide to the Schjerfbeck exhibition in Raseborg Museum, a letter read, or painting with the artist. The museum’s permanent exhibition presents Helene’s works and items that belonged to her.


8.02.2019 / Sommar2023

Already in the 14th century, the King’s Road has stretched from Bergen, Norway. Then following an old postal route going via Oslo to Stockholm, Sweden. From there it runs further to Mariehamn on the Åland islands, in Finland. The route continues through the archipelago to Turku and via coastal areas of Southern Finland. Finally all the way to Vyborg and St. Petersburg in Russia.

The kings and their couriers, bishops and burgesses, artists and armies have traveled the road. The road supposedly was built as a trail for chargers between Turku and Vyborg Castles. Later, the road was used as a postal route. The route went from village to village. Manor houses, farms, guest houses, taverns and inns where travelers were able to stay and dine popped up along the way.

In Raseborg, the King’s Road runs via Tenala towards Pojo parish village when coming from Turku. Pojo was once an important hub with i.a. manor houses, ironworks, inns, harbours, and a lookout hill. From Pojo village the road continues to Fiskars Village. Which today is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Raseborg.

After Pojo church, the King’s Road runs through Billnäs Village along the Svartå River. At Karis Kroggård the road branches off to northern and southern parts. The northern King’s Road passes through Svartå to Lohja and further to Siuntio. There the southern branch takes you to Ekenäs and Raseborg Castle Ruins. Then continuing to Fagervik and further to Ingå and Siuntio. There the northern and southern branches are reunited.

Read more about the King’s Road: visitkingsroad.fi